Tapeworm infection is caused by eating the raw or under cooked meat of infected animals.
In the human intestine, the young form of the tapeworm from the infected meat (larva) develops into the adult tapeworm. Adults and children with pork tapeworm can infect themselves if they have poor hygiene. They can ingest tapeworm eggs they pick up on their hands while wiping or scratching their anus or the skin around it.
Usually, tapeworms can be found in the large intestines but a rare case of a British man diagnosed with tapeworm inside his brain tissue baffled doctors.
He suffered from a chronic headache for a year and none of the medical treatments provided him a relief. Then, he underwent an MRI, when the doctors found the tapeworm inside his brain. What's more surprising was when they found out it has been living there for 4 years now.
The man has Sparganosis, a parasitic infection caused by the tapeworm Spirometra erinaceieuropaei.
The infection caused by Spirometra Erinaceieuropaei is found in cats and dogs, where the worm can reach a staggering length of up to meter and a half.
What's the cause?
Even though humans can get this infection in many different ways, eating pork is the most common way of getting infected. The species found in pork is called Taenia Solium and it can infect humans in the following ways:
* When you eat improperly cooked pork which comes from infected pigs. This leads to taeniasis, an adult work which lives in the pig's intestines and affects the human brainIn the form of larvae through contact from an infected pig/human. This larvae many infect various tissues in the body
* If the larvae reach the nervous system, it may lead to a development of serious brain infection called neurocysticercosis. In case the worm attacks the brain, it may even cause epilepsy.